Friday, 20 February 2009

Coogee - Mina Wylie at Wylie's Baths

Sculpture of Mina (Wilhelmina)Wylie, daughter of the founder of Wylie's Baths. Sculptor: Eileen Slarke

Mina Wylie was a woman of firsts. She and friend, Fanny (Sarah Frances) Durack, were the first women to win a silver and gold medal respectively in Olympic swimming, at the 1912 Olympic Games in Stockholm. For the first time at those Olympics, two women's races were held: 100m, and 100m relay. She was also the first woman to receive the Diploma of the Royal Life Saving Society.
In 1971, Mina was inducted into the Swimming Hall of Fame in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Wylie was born in Coogee in 1890, and died in 1984.

Photo collage left - Top left: Fanny Durack (l) and Mina Wylie (r). Top right: Mina Wylie. Bottom left: Fanny Durack. Bottom right: Fanny Durack (l) and Mina Wylie (r) in Stockholm
After competing against each other in thw 1910-11 swimming season, Mina and Fanny persuaded swimming officials to let them compete in Stockholm. There were 27 competitors. The pool was built in an inlet of Stockholm Harbour. There were no lane ropes. Fanny's time in the 100m final was 1:22.2 and Mina's was 1:25.4.

Sunday, 8 February 2009

Clovelly - off the rocks















These kids are bigger daredevils than I would ever be!

Clovelly Pool















Photos taken 31 January 2009

From the NSW Ocean Baths website:

1930s
Randwick Council announced plans to build an Olympic swimming pool and a sea wall using gangs of unemployed labour. Attempts were made to construct a breakwater across the mouth of the bay. The project plans were modified after winter storms washed away most of this sea wall, leaving behind a protective rocky reef now visible only at low tide.
1953
The Clovelly Winter Swimming Club was founded by Clovelly surf club members looking for a way to keep active in the winter months. They used Clovelly Bay as their swimming pool.
1962
As acknowledged by a plaque at the pool, Geoff James of the Clovelly surf club proposed the building of a concrete swimming pool. One of the most compelling arguments for the creation of this pool was that its presence meant Randwick Council needed less concrete for the promenade
1991
Residents claimed the Council was neglecting the basic requirements of the pool and its many users. About 150 Clovelly residents petitioned Randwick City Council about the Clovelly Beach Pool, which had stood empty for five weeks because the pump was not operating. They wanted the pool normally used for swimming lessons each Saturday and for events staged by the Clovelly Amateur Swimming Club to be thoroughly cleaned, a new pump installed and to receive regular maintenance and written reports about the pool from Council.
1994
The National Trust classified this 25-metre by 6-metre pool and listed it on its heritage register. 2000
As part of its State of the Environment (SOE) report, Randwick City Council reported on water monitoring in the Clovelly rock pool.
2001
Randwick City Council refurbished the baths.
2002
Randwick Council named the pool after Geoff James, past president and life member of the Clovelly surf club.
The Clovelly Eskimos winter swimming club had about 125 members, most of whom were in their forties or older.
2003
Real estate agents say the charms of the swimming baths and snorkelling round the bay helps to attract families with children to Clovelly. Images of the swimming pool's marked lanes appear in the real estate advertisements for units at Clovelly Beach.

Saturday, 7 February 2009

Bronte Baths

















































Photos taken 23 Jan 2009

To see more about Bronte Baths, on my Sydney Daily Photo blog, click here.

From the NSW Ocean Baths website:
1883
Waverley Council set aside 150 pounds to build a pool at Bronte, but had difficulty getting permission from the NSW Department of Lands to occupy the site near the popular Bogey Hole at South Nelson Bay.
1886
At Council's request, the NSW government gave permission to Mr A. Williams, an engineer with the Harbour and Rivers Branch of the Department of Public Works, to design and supervise the construction of public baths at both the Bronte and Bondi Baths.
1887
The lease was granted at a cost of 20 pounds a year, the Bronte Reserve was created and sea baths opened for segregated bathing. Council set a further 235 pounds aside for the Bronte Baths project. The Bronte Baths cost 235 pounds more than the original estimate, but the torrential floods of April 1887 may have increased the construction difficulties. F. W. Lloyd was appointed caretaker of the baths on 18 October 1887.

In late 1887, after complaints to Council about bathing during prohibited hours, Council adopted regulations for the conduct of the Bondi and Bronte Baths. The Bronte Baths 1887 Regulations stated 'gentlemen could bathe between daylight and 10am and from 4pm 'till dark each day. Ladies were welcomed from 10am to 4pm daily' except on Sundays and Public Holidays, when the baths were reserved exclusively for men 'from daylight to dark' and that 'each person using the baths shall wear an appropriate bathing dress'. Baths entry cost fourpence for adult and tuppence for children. Monthly tickets were available and towels could be hired.
1888
In January, Council formally recorded its grateful appreciation for the satisfactory manner in which Mr Williams had supervised the work and for the NSW government for making his services available.
1889
The 1889 lease from Council was 60 pounds per annum.
1892
Renewing its five-year lease of the baths cost Council 10 pounds per annum.
1893
Following gale damage to the baths, removal of the dressing shed was recommended at a cost of 50 pounds.
1894
Charles Kindred took over the lease of the baths.
The Eastern Suburbs Swimming Club moved its headquarters from the pool at the Coogee Aquarium to the Bronte Baths.
1895
Harry A. Wylie, champion distance diver of Australia, took a five-year lease of the baths at 100 pounds a year.
1898
Wylie was a popular lessee and under his management the baths offered both showers and the hot sea baths popularised by the medical profession. The baths were 150 feet end-to-end, but longer on the sea wall and 72 feet wide at the widest part. Large boulders beyond the concrete wall on the seaward side helped break the force of the waves, making the baths safe even in high seas.
1901
Lessee G. H. Rowles paid 125 pounds per year for his lease of the baths and was sworn in as a special constable, so he could keep good order at the baths.
1903
After a Royal Lifesaving squad under Major Bond witnessed a drowning at Bronte, it decided to extend its operations from the pool into the sea.
1907
Waverley Council had spent about 400 pounds on the swimming baths at Bronte.
1908
Waverley Council accepted W. H. Bond's tender of 201 pounds 10 shillings, including a cottage for the baths.
1921
The Bronte Splashers swimming club formed and included several older members of the Bronte Surf Life Saving Club. Its aims included creating 'a friendly feeling of good will between all beach and baths swimmers', holding races and arranging social functions for its members. Winter swimming was a feature of the club.
1923
Council accepted John Bond's tender of 325 pounds for the lease of the baths for three years. Bond introduced mixed or continental bathing on Sundays, holiday afternoons and evenings from 1pm.
1925
Baths improvements costing 1,700 pounds included a room for the swimming club and the installation of a centrifugal pump. Dennis Brown was the lessee at the end of 1925.
1928
Les Bond paid 538 pounds a year for the lease of the baths.
1939
A photograph of Bronte Beach at low tide shows a diving board at the baths.
1951
Debentures issued to members of the for the Bronte Splashers funded the erection of a new club-house at the Bronte Baths. Successful fundraising through social functions meant debenture holders were repaid in about 12 months. The Splashers paid a nominal sum to Waverley Council for the lease of the premises at the Bronte Baths.
1958-59
Bronte Amateur Swimming Club had a record membership of 185 members.
1960s
Storms destroyed dressing sheds at the Bronte Baths.
1987
Alderman Carolyn A. Markham, the first female Mayor of Waverley, unveiled a plaque commemorating a centenary of community use and enjoyment of the Bronte Baths.
1991
The baths and park were proposed as a heritage park.
1990s
The Bronte ocean pool was closed for well over the expected time for a $250,000 renovation. Afterwards, there were complaints that the new pump did not work and that algae obscured the newly tiled lane markings.
1997
The Bronte RSL Swim Club held its annual carnival at the Bronte Baths. The Dee Why RSL Swimming club participated.
1999
Local artist Martine Emdur exhibited a ghostly image of Bronte Baths in the moonlight in her Coasting exhibition at the Art House Gallery.
The Sea Theatre Festival (also held in 1996 and 1997 but not 1998) ended at Bronte Park with the Synchronised Sushi Swimmers performing in the rock pool.
2001
Bronte Splashers winter swimming club celebrated its 80th anniversary.
2003
Waverley Council refused permission for QANTAS to film an advertisement in its I Still Call Australia Home campaign at the Bronte Pool. Council felt the area, which already attracted five million visitors a year, did not need the international publicity, nor an enforced three-day closure of the pool at the busiest time of the year.

Bronte Bogey Hole








Photos taken 23 Jan 2009

To see more about Bronte Baths, on my Sydney Daily Photo blog, click here.

From the NSW Ocean Baths website:
Early 1880s
The Bogey Hole at South Nelson Bay was a popular bathing place before Waverley Council gained permission to construct baths.
1886
The NSW government dedicated 14 acres for Bronte Park and Waverley Council was appointed as trustee for the park. Council was asked to compel bathers at Bronte Beach to wear suitable costumes.
1905
A petition asked Council to extend the Bogey Hole at Bronte.
1907
Waverley Council accepted Mr Bradshaw's tender of 295 pounds to enlarge the Bronte Bogey Hole.
1939
A photograph of Bronte Beach at low tide shows many more rocks than at present around the Bogey Hole.
1996
A pod of about 15 dolphins jumped into Bronte's Bogey Hole and rode the waves, delighting a crowd of about a hundred onlookers.
2001
A man swimming in the Bronte Bogey Hole was bitten by a gummy shark that had to be cut from his arm. He took the shark with him to hospital and later home to eat.
2002
Bronte rated well on the NSW EPA's cleanest beaches list. Water quality had improved since the days when the stormwater channel used to come out near the Bogey Hole.
2006
Surf club nippers acquire and practise some of their surf skills at the Bogey Hole.