Monday 16 January 2012

Pool postcard: 'Swimming Pool, City Park, Parkersburg, West Virginia'


I collect vintage postcards of swimming pools. I plan to post one a day as far as possible. If you know any of these places, especially the fate of the pool, I'd love to hear from you!

This site tells me the following (dated June 12, 2007)

"Eager swimmers only have a couple of weeks until they can dive into the newly renovated City Park Pool.
This is the first renovations on the Parkersburg pool since it opened in 1937.

The bath house has new shower fixtures, a new roof, and a fresh coat of paint.

The concrete floors now have a fresh face of tile.

Mayor Bob Newell says the renovations were much needed as leaks caused the pool to lose 3.6 million gallons of water during the summer season.

City Park Pool will be complete and ready for swimmers to splash in the first week of July. "


5 comments:

Jason said...

So, I was born in Parkersburg in 1975 and this is (probably) the first pool that I visited as a child. The postage cancellation is from Clarksburg where my family moved when I was six. I do not know Melba. :)

lancy said...

Thanks for sharing this informative post.
bathroom renovations toowoomba

Sally said...

That's soooo cool, Jason!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you used to write wonderful, but the last several posts have been kinda boringกK I miss your great writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track! come on!
Edelbrock 15834 E-Force Remote Oil Filter Mount Kit for Ford F-150 4WD

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing information on Swimming, i have visited your blog great post....................
Concrete Flooring Toowoomba