Wednesday 24 October 2012

Prince Alfred Park, Surry Hills


The swimming pool in Prince Alfred Park, Surry Hills, Sydney is being re-developed. It was supposed to open for the summer season this year, which is now. I pass this site nearly every day and have been wondering when it will re-open (It is close enough to use for a lunchtime swim, and will be open year-round).

According to the Sydney City Council website  there have been delays caused by contaminated soil having to be removed from the site, underground services had to be completely replaced, and unprecedented rain last year caused delays. 
It's looking really good...the roof has been planted to create a meadow-effect. Here's a previous blog on this pool.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait for this pool to open. Another pool to add to Sydney's list of great pools!

Graeme said...

An outdoor pool in the city only a couple of hundred metres from Central Station sounds good to me. One hot day after finishing some business in town I trooped over to Victoria Park. Trouble was I was boiling again by the time I got back to Central. There are probably closer indoor pools, but it’s just not the same. I think the current opening date for PA is 1 January (Clover’s blog?).

Your old blog brought back memories. I’d forgotten that I’d ice skated there a few times in the seventies. Oddly enough I don’t recall even noticing the pool. I also note the UTS tower prominently in the background; that I recall all too well!

Anonymous said...

Me too, I live across the road from this and it is the slowest project I have ever seen. I've never seen any more than about 3 or 4 builders working on it, even though its over a year overdue.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until the renovation is done. I've learned that they also have renovated the park, pathways, furniture, lights and children's playground. We will surely be swimming with my family and friends.

Anonymous said...

How long will it take the renovation?