These beautiful Edwardian Baths started off as public baths (for bathing) and urinals. After dereliction, and closure in 1899 they were re-designed and re-opened, including two swimming pools, in March 1904. Men and women had separate entrances (the signs are still seen on the facade), and there were first class baths upstairs, and second class in the basement.
There were also Turkish and vapour baths, a Jewish ceremonial bath - Mikvah bath and a laundry.
Mixed bathing was introduced in 1947.
In the 1980s, in disrepair, they were nearly closed, but were saved in 1983 by a public campaign and $4 million refurbishment.
More information: Website; Centenary Celebrations; Swimmers Guide Category: Public