We've been following the fate of Bexley pool for some time, as its future has been under somewhat of a cloud. (see below for links to previous blogs telling the back story)
The good news is that Rockdale Council has given the green light for its redevelopment.
There will be an open day at the pool on Saturday 8 February 2014. You can view the design drawings and speak to the architects and the Council project team.
The plan is for the centre to have:
- a new outdoor pool with seating and shade structure The pool will be heated to 26 deg C. The outdoor pool will cater for swimming and water polo and a recorders room for race meetings and school swimming carnivals
- Indoor leisure pool (children's play pool). This will be heated to 30 deg C and includes a toddlers pool, beach entry, bubble seat and waterslide.
- Indoor 8 lane 25 metre lap pool heated to 28 deg C
- Indoor program pool (warm water exercise/learn to swim/hydrotherapy) heated to 31 deg C
- Children's Club / Creche
- Community space
- Gymnasium and fitness area
- Change rooms and amenities
- administrative rooms
- Plant room
- Car parking for about 175 cars
Here's pictures from the Council website showing the latest plans.
Here's previous blogs which provide the back story
25 September 2012: It's a resort! But what about the future?
15 December 2011: Bexley pool update
2 December 2011: Bexley pool proposal for re-development
22 February 2011: The fight to save Bexley pool (article from The Leader)
10 December 2010: Bexley pool battle (article from The Leader)
The Rockdale Council website is worth having a look at for information about the plans and progress.